LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
mwojcik

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

VPN

Please wait...

VPN

Postby chrissie1 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:54 pm

I need a connection from home to my servers. And I'm trying to sell this to the big bosses. But they are aking the idiots from th IT dep to come up with some figures. Does anybody have an idea about the price? Not counting the internet connections. And this would be for me alone I don't care about anybody else.

Thanks for any help.
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135

Unrated

Re: VPN

Postby damber on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 pm

I suppose it depends on how secure you want it - you can get a basic consumer VPN router for a few hundred euros which would do the job, though you may want to integrate with a RADIUS server, or with some kind of RSA securID token etc - which will obviously increase the costs. If you have a fixed IP at home, then it should be much easier to make a cheaper solution more appropriately secure through firewall rules etc - so you may be able to get away with paying less. But you've also got to consider the support costs, hosting etc
a smile is worth a thousand kind words, so smile, it's easy! :-)

CODE: $5
WORKING CODE: $500
PROPERLY DESIGNED & WORKING CODE: Priceless
damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663

Postby chrissie1 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 pm

I have been readin up on it and I think it could be very cheap. I have a server at work that could do the job with windows 2003 server serving as the VPN server it just needs a connection to the internet via a static IP-address and an open firewall port. Does the client (me at home) also need a static address?? I thought not but I could be wrong.
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135

Unrated

Postby damber on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:38 pm

you don't need one, but for (cheap) security purposes it would make things better - VPN's do get hacked if not properly secured, and as such tend to use multiple authentication factors, such as a username/password + machine certificate + key generator (e.g. RSA key fob). if you don't want the expense of some of those things, then using a fixed IP is a pretty cheap way to do it - though that's only useful in your scenario of 1 or two users... it wouldn't work with lots of users due to the admin overhead and dependency on users having a fixed IP address and being restricted to their home/whatever location with that IP. having a fixed IP at home though could mean that you can setup a vpn router at both ends, harden their security and have a permanent route to your organisations network with a little routing config on your home network etc - which means you dont have to log in manually all the time - and your home adsl router may already be able to do the vpn client stuff..

Depending on what you want to have access to, you should try to keep the vpn in the dmz and only allow services that you need to come from vpn'd dmz hosts. But it shouldn't be too costly, and you can setup an existing server or bit of kit to do the job, though I personally wouldn't want to trust something like this to windows.... you might find http://www.smoothwall.org interesting..
a smile is worth a thousand kind words, so smile, it's easy! :-)

CODE: $5
WORKING CODE: $500
PROPERLY DESIGNED & WORKING CODE: Priceless
damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby tarwn on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 pm

One extra cost that is often overlooked is the RSA key fobs. I cannot remember the cost for these off the top of my head (somewhere close to $100 US maybe?) but they can become a factor once the executive, et al realize they really need one too (this is sarcasm). Theer are also several Open Source VPN solutions that are available (several may even be available via Smoothwall). This gives you the option of a cheaper solution for a "test drive" (or whatever you need to tell your IT group to convince them to give it a shot).
Another thing is that you could probably sell it easier to your IT group if they realize the advantages there are for them. If a server goes wonky in the middle of the night, they won't have to drive in to fix it (most likely). And you may even find out that your IT group has wanted a connection all along and hasn't been able to sell it to the bosses.

Um, yeah...I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday -- Bill Lumbergh, Office Space
tarwn
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897
LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897
LTD Gold - Rating: 897

Unrated

Postby Remou on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:46 am

Have you looked at LogMeIn?
https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/get_ ... signup.asp

I do not know if it is secure enough for you, but it is very useful.
Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords.
Remou
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971
LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971LTD Gold - Rating: 971
LTD Gold - Rating: 971

Unrated