LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
mwojcik

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

DNS Settings

Please wait...

DNS Settings

Postby ca8msm on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 am

Hi,

I currently have quite a few clients that I host emails for on my server and I'm looking to move them over to Google Apps. I've changed the MX records for a test domain that I'm using to verify the process and the emails are correctly being sent to the new Google Account.

However, I currently have a DNS record set up which points the mail subdomain to my server so that the clients can access their mail via http://mail.testdomain.com e.g.

1. Name   Type  Content
  2. mail   A     12.345.678.90

This also means that when they use another mail client such as Outlook, they enter both the incoming and outgoing (smtp) mail server as mail.testdomain.com.

The new Google account uses different incoming and outgoing addresses (pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com) so what I'm wondering is:

Is there any way I can amend my DNS settings so that my clients don't have to amend their Outlook settings and somehow map mail.testdomain.com to both pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com (which will in turn start delivering the emails to them from Google without them realising)?

Thanks,
Mark
ca8msm
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687
LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687

Unrated

Re: DNS Settings

Postby Kermit on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 pm

You will need to create a forwarder as the A record is relating to the dns name.

However in theory you could change the ip address to the google server provided both the smtp and pop addresses are the same for the google mail server.

Take a look at these sites:

http://www.opengroup.org/comm/the_messa ... n1/dns.htm
http://sherwoodhosting.com/email-ftp-su ... r-dns.html

Hope that helps.
MotherFbleeper
Kermit
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Bronze - Rating: 125LTD Bronze - Rating: 125LTD Bronze - Rating: 125

Postby damber on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:52 pm

1. damber@nexus:~$ host smtp.gmail.com
  2. smtp.gmail.com is an alias for gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.
  3. gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com has address 209.85.229.109
  4. damber@nexus:~$ host pop.gmail.com
  5. pop.gmail.com is an alias for gmail-pop.l.google.com.
  6. gmail-pop.l.google.com has address 209.85.229.109

1. A mail.yourdomain.com.  209.85.229.109
a smile is worth a thousand kind words, so smile, it's easy! :-)

CODE: $5
WORKING CODE: $500
PROPERLY DESIGNED & WORKING CODE: Priceless
damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663

Postby ca8msm on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Ah so they both use the same IP address! :D

Thanks, that hopefully makes it very easy.
ca8msm
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby ca8msm on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Hmmm, that didn't seem to work from my testing but this may be due to something else I have observed. If I send a test email using smtp.gmail.com e.g.
  1.     Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
  2.         sendEmail("my.personal.address@gmail.com", "Email Test", "Hello!")
  3.     End Sub
  5.     Public Sub sendEmail(ByVal EmailAddress As String, ByVal Subject As String, ByVal EmailBody As String, Optional ByVal FromAddress As String = "myuser@testdomain.com")
  6.         Dim Message As New MailMessage(FromAddress, EmailAddress, Subject, EmailBody)
  7.         Dim smtp As New SmtpClient("smtp.gmail.com")
  8.         Dim NetworkCredentials As New System.Net.NetworkCredential
  9.         NetworkCredentials.UserName = "myuser@testdomain.com"
  10.         NetworkCredentials.Password = "mypassword"
  11.         smtp.EnableSsl = True
  12.         smtp.Port = 25
  13.         smtp.Credentials = NetworkCredentials
  14.         smtp.Send(Message)
  15.     End Sub

then the email works. However, if in line #7 I change the smtp.gmail.com to the IP address then it fails with the error:

The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

This seems slightly odd to me, and I get the same error message if I use mail.testdomain.com, so I can see why the changes you suggested haven't worked, but I don't understand why.

Any ideas?

Thanks

P.S I actually get 209.85.227.109 not 209.85.229.109 when looking up the gmail addresses so it must have a few but both produce the same error anyway.
ca8msm
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby damber on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm

It is checking the SSL cert address against the address/dns name you're using - if you did it without encryption then it would probably be fine, though a) I'm not sure if google let's you do that anyway and b) you probably don't want to :-)

Can you set a property to tell the adapter to ignore SSL errors like this? (this will downgrade the security a bit, but maybe acceptable for your needs).

Otherwise, sadly, you will have to change everyone to use the specific dns names so that the cert is valid.

damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby ca8msm on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Ah I understand now, makes sense that it rejects it as my domain doesn't match the one from the certificate. I tried the unencrypted version and it still had issues.

Unfortunately that means I probably can't do what I want and will just have to issue instructions on what changes my clients will need to make.
ca8msm
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby damber on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm

It looks like that might be your only choice - I'll have a think about it, but I don't think you can do much else.

damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated