Login or Sign Up to become a member!
LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary. Once you register for an account you will have immediate access to the forums and all past articles and commentaries.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
mwojcik

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

Google Ads

dll Hell

Please wait...

dll Hell

Postby genomon on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 pm

We have an old Gateway box running a legacy standalone VB6 app in Win 2K. The developer that wrote it left in 2003. Time for an upgrade. The PC is taking a crap and the installation he developed with InstallShield will not self-register some needed dll's in Win XP SP3 or Win7 (we plan on running it in Xp for now). When I try to manually register using regsvr32, I get this error: "xxx.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point not found". During the self-register process I get a message indicating the the file does not appear to be a valid dll, which is odd since some are older MS dll's, and one is EXPSRV.DLL which I know for a fact is a valid dll. This is the first time I'm having to mess with something this old (it was originally ported from our Mainframe into VB5 in the 90's) and this undocumented (meaning there is none). I have access to the source code, but no experience with InstallShield.
Anyone have some thoughts to share on how to get these rats to register?
[-o<
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage
LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479
LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479

Unrated

Re: dll Hell

Postby gmmastros on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 pm

I've seen this message before. Often times it is caused by dll's that require other dll's. IF A depends on B, but B is not registered, you get this message. If you register B and then register A, problem solved.

You may also want to check for other files in the same folder as the dll with an extension of .dep. These are dependency files, and are simple ASCII files (open with notepad). These files usually show what other files also need to be registered.

Lastly, make sure you are registering as administrator. Either log in with an administrator account or right click the command prompt and run as administrator.

Hope this helps.
-George
gmmastros
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630
LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630
LTD Gold - Rating: 1630LTD Gold - Rating: 1630

Unrated

Postby genomon on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks, George. I am in as admin already; I'll check the stuff you mentioned, and get out the old Dependency Walker tool (which I haven't used in years). Don't know whether to view this as job security, or a good time to dust off the resume ;)
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage
LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479

Unrated

Postby genomon on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Followup: The dll's that the install package (InstallShield, but not my fault) were trying to self-register were already registered. I'm not sure if that's what fired off the error messages or not, but I got the app to work so I'm off the hook. I'll repost if I find anything else out.
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage

Unrated

Postby genomon on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Success! The last piece of the puzzle involved resolving an obsolete reference to an SMTP host. Life is now officially good unless you count the total rewrite of the app into an environment that was created in this century. But it works in Win7 for now.
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage

Unrated