Login or Sign Up to become a member!
LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary. Once you register for an account you will have immediate access to the forums and all past articles and commentaries.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
konam534As

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

Google Ads

SharePoint 2010 with Reporting Services

Please wait...

SharePoint 2010 with Reporting Services

Postby kantboy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi eveyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place....

I am currently working on an extranet based on SharePoint 2010 that will allow our clients to view and interact with business intelligence that we currently run internally, export to excel, and send to them.

At the moment, we have many reporting services reports that are used by multiple clients, but internally we have client folders on the RS Report Manager that contain Linked Reports, that link to master reports. That way we can maintain one set of reports.

We have two options in setting up SharePoint 2010, to go with RS integration, or keep RS separate.

In SharePoint we will have a site collection per client and they will only be able to see the contents of that collection, apart from rolled up data such as news. We want them to be able to access reporting services reports within their site collection but would rather not store the whole report suite in each site collection, but instead in one place and parameterised by the client name.

I'm aware that RS Linked Reports functionality is not supported in SP 2010. So...

Has anyone any suggestions as to the best way to achieve this in:

a.) integrated mode

or

b.) non-integrated mode

Whilst respecting the requirement for absolute security between client site collections?

Cheers,

Chris
kantboy
Apprentice
Apprentice
LTD Bronze - Rating: 11

Unrated

Re: SharePoint 2010 with Reporting Services

Postby Thirster42 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:15 pm

I have no idea, but the answer to this could make a pretty awesome blog.
Ask three DBAs a question, and you’ll get four different answers.

-Brent Ozar
Thirster42
Guru
Guru
LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517
LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517

Unrated

Postby joshuafennessy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Will each client have a unique AD account to sign into SharePoint with? If so, setting up that security (once signed in) is pretty straight forward.

From what it sounds like, you are using Linked Reports exactly what they are designed for, and losing that capability would be pretty detrimental.

Perhaps a solution would be to keep the report server non-integrated, but face them in a SP2010 site that is restricted to specific clients using Audiences. Taking advantage of Claims-authentication (Kerberos still required) would potentially simplify the infrastructure, and allow you to leave your SSRS Server protected inside your domain environment.
joshuafennessy
LTD Bronze - Rating: 1

Postby kantboy on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Just as I feared Joshua!

Yes, the client's users will have their own AD accounts, but I'm afraid it's now too late for a non-integrated setup at this point.

I'm going to have to build some custom app that ensures all site collections have the latest version of a file. Something that will upload the file to every site collection upon put-live. Certainly not ideal.. especially when you're already using a different system elsewhere.

Thanks for your suggestion...
kantboy
Apprentice
Apprentice
LTD Bronze - Rating: 11

Unrated