Login or Sign Up to become a member!
LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary. Once you register for an account you will have immediate access to the forums and all past articles and commentaries.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
konam534As

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

Google Ads

Development Tools Feature not available in SQL2012 SE 64bit

Microsoft SQL Server
Please wait...

Development Tools Feature not available in SQL2012 SE 64bit

Postby Niikola on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

In MSDN article Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2012 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993(v=SQL.110).aspx)
under the Development Tools, you can find list of features supported by different editions.

But, Intellisense (Transact-SQL and MDX), SQL query edit and design tools, Version control support and MDX edit, debug, and design tools have note attached saying: "This feature is not available for 64-bit version of Standard edition".

What is even more strange, Intellisense is supported by all other editions (including all versions of Express edition).

Which further means (in my opinion): if you need standard edition features, but you want intellisense and version control - sorry, you have to install 32 bit SQL Server on 64 bit windows or to buy much more expensive Enterprise Edition.
Smile...tomorrow will be worse
Niikola
Senior Apprentice
Senior Apprentice
LTD Bronze - Rating: 139LTD Bronze - Rating: 139LTD Bronze - Rating: 139

Unrated

Re: Development Tools Feature not available in SQL2012 SE 64bit

Postby tarwn on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Is that support for using the development tools on the same machine (SSMS) or using the tools from any machine connecting to that server? If it's just using it on that machine, then I would say get Development edition. The last time I connected to a server locally it had Enterprise Manager on it, since then I have remote connected with a development PC or, if the network was having issues, from a laptop plugged into the same physical network.

Um, yeah...I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday -- Bill Lumbergh, Office Space
tarwn
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897
LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897
LTD Gold - Rating: 897

Unrated

Re: Development Tools Feature not available in SQL2012 SE 64bit

Postby SQLDenis on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Never knew this because I don't install the tools on servers in general
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467

Location: Princeton, New Jersey, USA,World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe and Beyond
Unrated