Login or Sign Up to become a member!
LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary. Once you register for an account you will have immediate access to the forums and all past articles and commentaries.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
mwojcik

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

Google Ads

Introducing IIS Express

Topics discussing news and products relating to the web developer industry
Forum rules
This forum is reserved for industry news from vendors or other interested parties. If you would like to submit an article for this forum, please contact us for further details.
Please wait...

Introducing IIS Express

Postby SQLDenis on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:46 am

Developers today build and test ASP.NET sites and applications using one of two web-servers:

The ASP.NET Development Server that comes built-into Visual Studio
The IIS Web Server that comes built-into Windows

Both of the above options have their pros and cons, and many ASP.NET developers have told us: “I wish I could have the ease of use of the ASP.NET Development Server, but still have all the power and features of IIS”. Today I’m happy to announce a new, free option that we are enabling – IIS Express - that combines the best characteristics of both, and which will make it easier to build and run ASP.NET sites and applications.

IIS Express will work with VS 2010 and Visual Web Developer 2010 Express, will run on Windows XP and higher systems, does not require an administrator account, and does not require any code changes to use. You will be able to take advantage of it with all types of ASP.NET applications, and it enables you to develop using a full IIS 7.x feature-set.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/ ... press.aspx
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467

Location: Princeton, New Jersey, USA,World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe and Beyond

Re: Introducing IIS Express

Postby Kermit on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Nice, I'll have some of that
MotherFbleeper
Kermit
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Bronze - Rating: 125LTD Bronze - Rating: 125LTD Bronze - Rating: 125

Unrated

Postby Thirster42 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 pm

i don't get it.
Ask three DBAs a question, and you’ll get four different answers.

-Brent Ozar
Thirster42
Guru
Guru
LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517
LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517LTD Silver - Rating: 517

Unrated

Postby ca8msm on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Thirster42 wrote:i don't get it.

When you develop ASP.NET applications in Visual Studio, it uses a built-in web server to serve you the ASP.NET pages. Then, you usually deploy it to a full production server that uses IIS. Unfortunately, the built-in web server doesn't have some of the features that IIS does (like URL Rewriting) so quite often you can't test the application without deploying it somewhere else first.

I guess they could have just improved the built-in web server, or removed it completely and replaced it with IIS Express.
ca8msm
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687
LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687LTD Silver - Rating: 687

Unrated