LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
manails232x

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

How to insult people in forums

Ethical issues in IT.
Please wait...

Re: How to insult people in forums

Postby SQLDenis on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:28 pm

I have got a curious sense of 'Deja-vue' in reading this excellent posting

Deja-vue????????? shouldn't that be Déjà vu?
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467

Location: Princeton, New Jersey, USA,World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe and Beyond
Unrated

Postby chrissie1 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:34 pm

I think that's called spell as you pronounce very scientifi ;-). Denis's suggestion would be the correct french spelling. The other would be an anglisism another new word ;-). Spelling is fun.
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135

Unrated

Postby traingamer on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Overall that was a very well conceived piece.

Any mocking of the English language of a poster in a forum is completely off-limits.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Most people are doing the best they can (certainly not all people, but most).

Your excellent DDL script which accompanied this question has somehow become detached. This has meant that we are struggling to understand the problem.

Sadly, you really must get more information than many forum questions provide and some mornings I don't have enough patience for that form of answer.
Greg

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard
traingamer
Senior Sage
Senior Sage
LTD Bronze - Rating: 233LTD Bronze - Rating: 233LTD Bronze - Rating: 233LTD Bronze - Rating: 233LTD Bronze - Rating: 233

Unrated

Postby chrissie1 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:19 pm

riverguy wrote:
Your excellent DDL script which accompanied this question has somehow become detached. This has meant that we are struggling to understand the problem.

Sadly, you really must get more information than many forum questions provide and some mornings I don't have enough patience for that form of answer.

Exactly. The only thing I see with tip-toeing around a request like this is that quite often the person asking for help may be someone who works in a small shop and doesn't write database code every day or rarely at all. You're likely to confuse someone even more who doesn't know what a DDL script is and may not even know creating a table through code instead of the GUI is actually an option. Sometimes it's just simpler and more effective to say: "Please paste the code or a screenshot which defines your table/procedure/trigger/etc. so we can help you."

All true but the OP must also realize that the people answering are just human. So if everybody does what he should do then most rude answers will be avoided. But of course the OP always thinks his question is important and usualy wants it solved within a few minutes.
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Unrated

Postby damber on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 pm

The article starts off well, but the examples given are even worse than just being blunt or even rude. Being blunt about something might seem harsh, but can help outline the boundaries for the people posting crappy questions. That's why animals "nip" their young when they go somewhere or do something they shouldn't.. to teach them a lesson. Ever 'tapped' your kids hand as they tried to put it in the fire? That doesn't mean I agree with being rude or unfairly harsh - or even too honestly blunt all the time. Some answers can be skillfully crafted to get to the point and highlight a problem in a way much better than those examples... the ones in that blog would really piss me off, as the person is being very sarcastic and wrapping up their obnoxious answer in a veil of conceit with a quick dusting of sugar.. most people will see through that and just think you are poking fun at them. It is just a sly way of saying the meaner, more blunt (but more honest) version.. passive aggressive style.

It's quite easy to make a point in a nice way - just be honest, show compassion for the poster's point of view and try to be helpful/constructive.

The problem is, most of the meaning is put upon the text by the reader.. if they're having a bad day, they will take some things completely the wrong way whatever you do. That's the problem with the written word - it doesn't convey the subtle meaning behind non-verbal communication.

The way you say something is often more important than what you say... written text is very bad at communicating true intentions because of this.

And no, the British spell Deja Vu the same as the french (sans accent if you're lazy like me :-) )
a smile is worth a thousand kind words, so smile, it's easy! :-)

CODE: $5
WORKING CODE: $500
PROPERLY DESIGNED & WORKING CODE: Priceless
damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663

Unrated

Postby chrissie1 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:17 am

damber wrote:And no, the British spell Deja Vu the same as the french (sans accent if you're lazy like me :-) )

Perhaps they spell it the same but they can't pronounce it the same. They tend to pronounce it like that guy spelled it or worse "Déja vous".
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Unrated

Postby PhilFactor on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:37 pm

The table at the end of my blog was just a bit of fun, as most of you guessed. What I was really saying was that one should never be rude to anyone in a forum. (there had been a bit of an outbreak on SQLServerCentral). When I first wrote the blog it sounded too sanctimonious, so I twisted it round and tried to make it funny.
I've met several people years after responding to them in a forum, and have been thankful that I've almost always kept to my own advice, as they always seem to be left feeling it was worthwhile.
Many thanks to Riverguy for spotting my Blog.
PhilFactor
Apprentice
Apprentice
LTD Bronze - Rating: 4

Unrated

Postby SQLDenis on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Celko has the correct attitude in my opinion :o
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467

Location: Princeton, New Jersey, USA,World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe and Beyond
Unrated

Postby tomsa on Mon May 23, 2011 5:30 am

WHO are we to inslut other people. we should respect others and behave well! Then they will respect us too! :)
tomsa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unrated