LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
manails232x

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

MTA first or MCSA

Please wait...

MTA first or MCSA

Postby Mac29 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm

I've been trying to locate what are called votech high schools that are MS IT Academy partners, which teach SQL Server. I cannot afford 'for profit' schools and votechs like PTEC are extremely affordable plus do a great job in many instances. MS does not track which IT Academys teach what so it's been extremely difficult to locate any that teach SQL.

However, a few votech high schools nearby will be offering MTA certifications in web programming classes that will get me prepared for Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Exam 98-364 - Database Fundamentals.

So my dilemna. First, I'm aware all education is self education. I was in a program w/covered SQL where the teacher did not know SQL. The school closed the class. I'm convinced an IT Academy school will speed my progress immensely. So straight comparison: if you thought you couldn't afford MCSA classes, how useful do you think the 98-364 will be? I'm thinking of immediately starting the 461, 462, etc. as soon as I can afford them.

I'm also thinking the web programming classes will get me through C##, ASP.NET, etc. which I'd have to tackle the C## anyway (in the grad degree I'm considering) and should help me w/better positions so I can afford expensive SQL classes. But it will take a year, maybe less.

What do you think?
Mac29

Unrated

Re: MTA first or MCSA

Postby Chopstik on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Mac,

I can't really speak to your exact situation here as these sound like certification classes and I haven't ever really followed or pursued certs. But, would like to offer some extraneous thoughts that may help you. The certs indicate you can pass a test and, in more than a few cases, help in terms of job hunting as there are more than a few companies that won't even talk to you unless they see cert initials somewhere in your resume. However, if you truly want to learn SQL Server (or anything database related), I'd highly recommend pulling a copy of SQL Server Express (which I'm pretty sure is free if not the full package) onto your machine and start playing with it.

If you're not sure where to begin, pull it down and then google how to set up your own database and then find forums where people ask database questions and figure them out for yourself. You may very well find that this is a great chance to learn new things and even help others in the process. The SQL Server community is also very open and supportive - many of the people on this site are very active in that community on Twitter as well as user groups throughout the world. Joining in those activities will also help you tremendously in your learning as well as help with potential networking for the future. Take advantage of them.

Perhaps someone else here can help you with the certs question but I would highly recommend some informal learning while you're trying to figure out the formal learning process. Good luck and, if you have any more questions, please feel free to post. Thanks.
Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error; they are the natural enemies of error and of error only.

Thomas Jefferson

WAR IS PEACE • FREEDOM IS SLAVERY • IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Winston Smith
Chopstik
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 346LTD Silver - Rating: 346LTD Silver - Rating: 346LTD Silver - Rating: 346LTD Silver - Rating: 346
LTD Silver - Rating: 346

Unrated