LessThanDot Site Logo

LessThanDot

A Technical Community for IT Professionals

Less Than Dot is a community of passionate IT professionals and enthusiasts dedicated to sharing technical knowledge, experience, and assistance. Inside you will find reference materials, interesting technical discussions, and expert tips and commentary.

LTD Social Sitings

Lessthandot twitter Lessthandot Linkedin Lessthandot facebook Lessthandot rss

Note: Watch for social icons on posts by your favorite authors to follow their postings on these and other social sites.

Highly Rated Users

Forum
No Posts Rated

Top 50
Given
Received

Links

Wiki
Blog

Forum Statistics

Users
Members:
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Total Post History
Topics:

7-Day Post History
New Topics:
Active Topics:

Our newest member
manails232x

Other

FAQ
All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which Agile Software Development Method Do You use?

Please wait...

Which Agile Software Development Method Do You use?

Postby SQLDenis on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm

I use Scrum because it shows where the slackers are. It also identifies much faster that the business unit usually doesn't have a clue what they really want delivered. I also used pair programming back in the day before I even knew there was such a thing as pair programming. I also do a bunch of XP things like unit testing, refactoring. What about you what do you use?
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467
LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467LTD Gold - Rating: 3467

Location: Princeton, New Jersey, USA,World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe and Beyond
Unrated

Re: Which Agile Software Development Method Do You use?

Postby SQLDenis on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Don't be scared to answer :-)
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Location: Princeton, New Jersey, USA,World, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe and Beyond
Unrated

Postby tisodotsk on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Nothing yet... I've just reading about agile methods, TDD looks interesting for me.
I try to improve my English language skills. Most things i do better than this.
tisodotsk
Apprentice
Apprentice
LTD Bronze - Rating: 62LTD Bronze - Rating: 62

Unrated

Postby chrissie1 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:27 pm

I stopped agile, people look strnage at me when I do pair programming.
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135

Unrated

Postby tarwn on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 am

I'm still a lone developer at my job as well (and that doesn't appear to be changing in the near future, no matter how bad we need an additional one). When I finally get done with the current project (only projected to finish 7 months behind schedule now) then I have high hopes for beginning to use CCPM for future projects. I'm still doing a lot of reading on Agile in general, trying to figure out why I feel like they missed something (not sure about the parallel to Lean Product Development, I think Lean Production is a better one in some cases).

Um, yeah...I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday -- Bill Lumbergh, Office Space
tarwn
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897
LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897LTD Gold - Rating: 897
LTD Gold - Rating: 897

Unrated

Postby LNBruno on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:33 pm

We seem to be stuck using the "wait 'til the last minute" method... I dread 3pm on Fridays.
M!ke
God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy.
LNBruno
LTD Senior Moderator
LTD Senior Moderator
LTD Bronze - Rating: 231LTD Bronze - Rating: 231LTD Bronze - Rating: 231LTD Bronze - Rating: 231LTD Bronze - Rating: 231

Unrated

Postby genomon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:37 pm

As the "lead developer" in a department of 3, everything we write is RAD, and we unit test it ourselves to save endless test cycling with the QA folks (usually get it right after 3 or 4 iterations). Small shop, lots of in-house systems such as invoicing, auditing, as well as data editing/processing for our members (we're a dairy cooperative in Wisconsin). We're too small to use Agile or Xtreme, although from what I've read, both sound efficient. We're here: http://cri.crinet.com/ - I work in the AgSource division.
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage
LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479
LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479

Unrated

Postby SQLDenis on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:52 pm

genomon wrote:As the "lead developer" in a department of 3

we have about 700-800 IT people and my department is about 40-50 people which has sub departments, my subdepartment is about 6 devs and 2 business people during the scrum (we might pull in more business people, depending on the stakeholders involved)
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby genomon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:58 pm

Sure Denis, rub it in. I go fishing with my boss. Sometimes he buys the beers. So there! :P
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage
LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479LTD Silver - Rating: 479

Unrated

Postby SQLDenis on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm

genomon wrote:Sure Denis, rub it in. I go fishing with my boss. Sometimes he buys the beers. So there! :P

Actually my boss rented a big fishing boat for tomorrow for our whole team. drinks food and fishing what else does a man need? But I am not going since I have some stuff to take care of at home in the morning (boat leaves at 7AM) He does this every year
SQLDenis
LTD Admin
LTD Admin

Unrated

Postby genomon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:17 pm

We do at least one charter trip for salmon in Lake Michigan (about 1-1/2 hr away) each year with work, too. This is from last year - this year was pretty dismal, as the ecosystem is in the middle of a crash from invasive zebra & quagga mussel infestation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
genomon
Senior Sage
Senior Sage

Unrated

Postby Kermit on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:01 pm

I have experienced three scenario's in my yo-yo career:

1. Complete lack of methodologies aka the "Hippie Culture"

This usually consists of a department (or departments) with fairly well organised and process driven practices who then feed their requirements to the techies who are invisible to the rest of the organisation... the requirements are handled by an egotistical hamster called Dave.

Usually this works well, the techies (some IT head, IT pro's and analyst developers/coders) are able to take the requirements and translate them into something tangible very quickly, this process is often a well developed analytical process that goes something like:

[IT Boss]: "so Bob over in finance wants a new page to show how well he is doing on the stocks"
[IT Guru]: "oh ffs hasn't he ***** up the system enough already he has to go and ask for more lame stuff that will never get done"
[IT Boss]: ".... more coffee?"
[IT Guru]: "yeah, I'll get someone to do it... eventually"

The onus is on the techies to project manage the requirements, design and develop whatever and then support it but usually thanks to Newtons Law (not really) business forget about the request or their budget mysteriously disappears.

2. Extreme Dude!

A spin off of no. 1, consists of big headed graduates who think they know everything about everything and will come up with lots of cool ideas but never actually get anything worthwhile done. Luckily these departments have one aging IT veteran (the guy who has seen it all, done it all and has the wounds to prove it) will bring these crazy machinations into line and come with a solution that ensures:

a. He is not disturbed
b. His coffee does not get cold before he has finished it
c. He is not disturbed from completing (b)

3. If it's not in the bible, it's blasphemy!

Fortunately I have only ever encountered this type of environment once. On paper it looks great, the techie team, while not the biggest is made up of what looks like, solid industry experienced pro's and smart people.

They have a change process that actually gets used, a project manager or two, weekly meetings and monthly get together's (meetings) and a few ageing Development Managers who have a regimental system in place.

Great! - well nearly.

While it's great seeing various methodologies being employed (partially or fully), various practices in place and a bag of patterns being used in the development work itself, my experience has been that this type of environment is well.. anal (let me explain).

The problem is this type of environment is so hell bent on using their methodologies, practices and patterns (MPP from here on) they will try to shoe horn in any project into their multi-coloured box and this does not always work. You then also have young inexperienced guys/girls who have been brought up on the MPP mantra which is great to a point however these automatons have no ability to think outside of the box.

While the MPP mantra works on medium to large projects it makes a complete meal of smaller projects where sometimes you need the extreme principles to get the solution built and then refined (extreme coding in itself can be an evolutionary process).

Combine this with a your 50 step change management system and a god awful code management process and you have the making for some seriously over engineered results - which is what I saw a lot of.

I was almost treated like the devil when I questioned one of the senior developers about a simple intranet solution I was asked to build. When I told the guy I was going to use an open source ORM library and a simple domain framework who looked at me as if I had just committed blasphemy... LOL

So what do I use now? I suppose I stick to the Agile way of doing things, it's the most modern and flexible principle now but I am sure it will change (remember Agile is an amalgamation of two opposite idea's i.e. Extreme and TDD/WF etc).

On my recent contract I was using the extreme end of the Agile principles but it worked. I used what was already available to me (in-house ORM/DAL, Domain Model style Framework and custom Web Controls), hooked everything up and literally built the app live (dev and staged on my laptop and then alpha released to a server in the LAN).

I feel like an outcast sometimes but I like it, I think modern developers should take the good bits from what they know and have been taught and apply it to a method that works for them.
MotherFbleeper
Kermit
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Bronze - Rating: 125LTD Bronze - Rating: 125LTD Bronze - Rating: 125

Unrated

Postby Impal3r on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:35 pm

We are fragile not agile :-(
Same old waterfall method, projects always late because once we show the client something they realize it is not what they wanted
Getting sick of this shop, if it wasn't for the economy being bad I would jump ship but for now I will suffer
Impal3r
Senior Apprentice
Senior Apprentice
LTD Bronze - Rating: 9

Unrated

Postby damber on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Impal3r wrote:We are fragile not agile :-(

haha - I think quite a few companies should adopt that name: "Fragile Software Development" I certainly have my fair share of fragile solutions here.. :-(

Getting sick of this shop, if it wasn't for the economy being bad I would jump ship but for now I will suffer

That's probably a wise thing to do at the moment, still I can imagine it gets you down day-to-day - in the past I've been in similar situations, and they're no fun at all. Hope it gets better... ;-)
a smile is worth a thousand kind words, so smile, it's easy! :-)

CODE: $5
WORKING CODE: $500
PROPERLY DESIGNED & WORKING CODE: Priceless
damber
LTD Admin
LTD Admin
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663
LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663LTD Silver - Rating: 663

Unrated

Postby chrissie1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:49 pm

damber wrote:
Impal3r wrote:We are fragile not agile :-(

haha - I think quite a few companies should adopt that name: "Fragile Software Development" I certainly have my fair share of fragile solutions here.. :-(

That's probably a wise thing to do at the moment, still I can imagine it gets you down day-to-day - in the past I've been in similar situations, and they're no fun at all. Hope it gets better... ;-)

And there was me thinking you were perfect. ;-)

Oh right, that was me.
pink fuzzy slippers
chrissie1
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LTD Gold - Rating: 2135LTD Gold - Rating: 2135

Unrated